Wednesday, March 24, 2010

This face

This face makes everything worth it.
The pain, the tears, the stress, I will endure it for this little boy. I wish I could accurately describe the magnitude of the joy in my heart as I sit here and type.
We walked into the small ward at the hospital this morning to see Gerald receiving his first dose of chemotherapy. Michael got his right after.

In the moment Gerald sleepily reached out his hand in greeting and smiled shyly in response to a kiss on the forehead, I knew I was right where I was supposed to be.
This face represents why my life looks different than some peoples, why I stay here in Africa. This smile lessens the pain of only seeing my family once a year. This face speaks of Gods goodness and His beautiful plan. I find comfort, solace, peace, affirmation, love, and raw, true joy in this face.

This little boy has just as much worth as any of us. He should receive the results of our best efforts. He is deserving of every ounce of stress and heartache. He is worth the work, the hours of research. He is more than enough of a reason to give up the world and follow Jesus. I gladly die to my own will, to my own comforts, all for this smile.

"Each one of them is Jesus in disguise" - Mother Theresa

Isaiah 41
9 I took you from the ends of the earth,
from its farthest corners I called you.
I said, 'You are my servant';
I have chosen you and have not rejected you.

10 So do not fear, for I am with you;
do not be dismayed, for I am your God.
I will strengthen you and help you;
I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.

17 The poor and needy search for water,
but there is none;
their tongues are parched with thirst.
But I the LORD will answer them;
I, the God of Israel, will not forsake them.

No comments: