Monday, February 1, 2010

We'll ride

As I type I again find myself somewhere in the Atlantic, sailing towards a new destination. When I first joined Mercy Ships I struggled so much with change. As I stood on the top deck of the ship, in the early hours of Sunday morning, it came to me. As I sleepily gazed out onto the port in Tenerife, I realized I couldn't wait to sail, to make my way back to Africa, to embrace another change.
When I returned to the ship from my time at home I found myself amongst so many new people. Many had settled in and at first it was difficult not to wish things would just go back to being the same as last year. I wanted the familiar faces, I wanted conversation that picked up where it last left off.
As the past week went on I found myself forming new friendships, watching the change in people change my outlook on life. A process that is ongoing through our lives, as long as we let it be.
Now all of those new people and myself are traveling towards our next mission on a 500 foot steel ship.

The thought that the next ground I will set foot on will be African soil is difficult for me to grasp. Togo will bring new challenges, new heartbreaking stories, and new instances of pure joy. I am full of expectation, I am excited, I am ready.

All of this change feels so natural now. The best things in my life have come as a result of change, how could I deny its power?

"I’ve been wooed and romanced by your splendor
Enraptured I’m weak with your wonder
Be me life be my love be my shelter
Cover me cover me

I will always love you
I’ll never leave your side
I will always love you
As one this life, we’ll ride, we'll ride"
Sweet Abandon-Maeve

No comments: