Friday, April 9, 2010

Diagnosis:Burkitt's

It does seem a bit screwed up to celebrate a child having cancer. I honestly feel the need to explain myself every time I smile when I hear the word Burkitt's.
Sometimes it just feels good to know there may be a chance. That little thing called hope.
I mentioned Kossi the other day, the 11 year old who has a tumor pushing out his left cheek. They confirmed him as a Burkitt's patient after we had already brought him to the hospital and promised results via email to the doctor there.
While there, when I saw Gerald's face, I melted. Well, not right away, at first he was sleeping with his face wedged firmly between the mattress and the wall, but when his mom pulled him out of his slumber by his arm, I saw it, then the said melting occurred. His tumor is drastically smaller. His right eye is now open and fixes on you as he tries to decide if he remembers if you are on hugging terms or not (for 4 years olds this can change from week to week for the first month or so)

I said during all of the preparation that if God only brought us one kid, just one, I would know that it was all worth it. I am not trying to add more weight to Geralds story than necessary. I mean, he's awesome (clearly) but please understand I am just trying to show you the significance of having this unfold in front of my eyes. On the days when life here is beyond frustrating, I think of how we found Gerald. After a long, drawn out afternoon of hitting every wall possible, the weight of it all is shed when I chase Geralds little brother Denni, a naked 2 year old running for his life from the yovo, all while screaming in delight, mixed with just a hint of terror (You know that feeling when you're bring chased, even playfully)
When the task of doing this job seems overwhelming (read: my brain is smoking), I let myself dream of the hugs from Luc I loved so much. When I think there is no way it will all work, I remember how Rachelle used to slip her hand into mine at every opportunity and tuck her face sweetly into each hug. Oh, how her spirit touched my soul.

I have the best job in the world, in my opinion. These kids teach me more than any book ever could. I gain more insight into life in one afternoon spent with them than any theologian could offer.
So yes, you cold say this one picture affects my life in astonishing ways. This one picture, this one disease, has changed me forever.
And that is cause to smile.


Remember Gerald before?

Well, here he is after just one dose of chemotherapy. What a difference a week can make...


And most importantly (again, in my opinion) Gerald and I are on hugging terms.

1 Corinthians 13:13
"And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love"

4 comments:

Melanie said...

Wow your blog really touched my heart-I saw the link on facebook and could not resist. Such beautiful words from a beautiful heart!see you soon Lovely, Lots of love, Mel xo

Unknown said...

What a handsome boy.

Krista Photography said...

That's awesome! Praise God for every little victory!

Unknown said...

what a HANDSOME boy!!!!!