Thursday, August 7, 2008

Sometimes there are no words...

Well I am having one of those days where I have so much going through my head I can't seem to even formulate a post that would make any sense. I was having one of those "off" days yesterday which continued into this morning. I think sometimes it is just plain hard to be a Christian but even amidst troubling times God reveals himself if you just sit quietly and listen. Yesterday morning I was struggling thinking about friendships lost and how hard it is when the door closes on one for good. I walked outside to find a big envelope addressed to me. Inside I found a beautiful poster of Sampson and Delilah and a note from a very special friend. I had mentioned long ago that Sampson and Delilah was my favorite bible story when I was growing up, so much that I wouldn't let my mom read me any other story. This friend remembered this little fact and come to find out she had ordered it almost two weeks ago. She was bummed this birthday gift came late but the timing was just perfect for me! That one sweet gesture made my day and brought such a huge smile to my face. (Shyla~I just love your heart:)
This morning I had a lot on my mind and just couldn't seem to calm my thoughts. I opened my email to find a note from another new friend and also a link to a couple of chapters out of a Max Lucado book she was reading this morning. She thought of me while reading it and I am so incredibly thankful that she shared it with me.(Elyse~thank you so much my friend:) The opening paragraph was this:

"Should you? Can you? Do you dare? Overcoming the past takes faith… and something more. Courage—that’s what it takes to shed the problems and mistakes of the past and to dream again. When shame and darkness hide all glimpses of the future... when relinquishing the past means an uncertain tomorrow... when you’re at the end of yourself and about to give up.. . you can find refuge in the shadow of Jesus. Listen as he gently whispers, “It’s all right, my child. . . I will help you. I will never leave you.” Together with him, you will find the courage to dream again."
The chapters that followed were nearly word for word answers to prayers from just this morning. It is very easy to look into our past and see the sacrifices that come from becoming a Christian, sacrifices that continue to affect us now. Just today I was able to see what an incredible reward I have received because of those sacrifices...friends who know what is in my heart and make me feel so loved. I have the courage to face each day, knowing that I will be rewarded for living this new life in Christ.
One last "timing" thing, because it is always about timing :) My bible study yesterday prepared me for all of this, even if I am only realizing it just now. The days topic was about happiness and joy and how they differ from eachother.
James 1:2-3
"Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance."
I am joyful even during the trials of late, and I can only attribute this joy to knowing God and having faith in Him. I think sometimes it is easy to forget why we do all of this, why we sacrifice so much. The answer is eternal life. With this as our reward how could we NOT do something as simple as face trials with Joy?
"Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything." James 1:4.

No comments: