Sunday, December 7, 2008

This Little Light of Mine

This morning I woke up before work and while checking my email I felt convicted to pray for my day. In 5 minutes I quickly journaled my prayers and went to my knees before God. It was only a few words but they proved to be a very powerful few words. I asked God to fill my heart and soul completly and let me be a light so that other people can see Him through me. I was excited to see snow falling when I went outside and went on to have a happy, joyful ride into work. Sundays are always good on the floor, one of my favorite days. I came into the same three patients I had yesterday and after my initial rounds I settled into my morning routine with a little special needs kid who I adore. I've had him in past admissions and I get along well with the mom so it is always a real pleasure to see them (aside from the fact the kiddo has to have surgery in order for this to happen).

When I went into the room Raffi was playing and my little patient was laughing and laughing. With him there are no spoken words, no simple gestures to help us know what is going through his mind. When he smiles and laughs you have this overwhelming sense that all is well in the world. A familiar song came on and mom and I sang along.
I like to eat, eat, eat, apples and bannana's

I like to ote, ote, ote, opples and bonnono's

That got him belly laughing, and my heart swelled.

I had 5 minutes left for a med to finish infusing so I hung around and did some tasks in the room. I am so happy I did.
Before I left "He's got the Whole World in His Hands" came on. "so sweet" I thought to myself. Then the kicker.
"This Little Light of Mine" came on and I got the chance to sing one of my favorites to my little friend. This time there was no contagious laugh, only a sweet smile at a nurse on the verge of her heart busting open with joy.
A few weeks ago I had a craving to listen to some black gospel...don't ask, I don't know why. I think I wanted something different and exciting. I couldn't find anything I recognized so I just downloaded this Little Light of Mine by a southern choir and put it as the first song on a new mix. I've been humming it for a week and listened to it just this morning during my ride. My prayer this morning was to be a light, and I'm gonna let it shine,
Let it shine
Let it shine
Let it shine

No comments: