Thursday, April 9, 2009

A hit and a miss

Opening stats of the 2009 Season
Red Sox 1-0
Yankees 0-1

Now that thats out of the way, I'll get on with this post.
I've been in Africa just over a month and I am in awe of how I am still surprised by things on a daily basis. Or maybe I'm not surprised, confused maybe? Flabbergasted? I like flabbergasted, it has a nice ring to it.
Last week without fail we would show up to a patients house and they wouldn't be there. Where did they go? We asked the neighbors.
"Up country" was the reply.
When we would get in touch with the patient or family they told us how they were looking into "traditional" healing, which in all honesty could cover a WHOLE lot of different things around here.
The cost is 250,000 CEFA, which is $500 US dollars. More than a years salary for a lot of people here. The worst is that the kids aren't in school because there isn't enough money to send them ($50 bucks a piece). This culture is unavoidably death oriented. You read it in books and hear it from people before coming here, most will spend more money on a funeral here than in that persons lifetime. A Christian here, when facing death, may still take off to the country for a witchdoctor to tell him there are curses on him from his "many" (??) enemies and that is why he is sick. For a small fee of 500 bucks they'll take the curse off. I wonder if they have a money back guarentee...
Its hard to understand here. So many beliefs and mindsets are deeply rooted. How can you blame someone for wanting to live and trying something he earnestly believes could help him? What if his pastor or someone in the church is the one reinforcing this because they have voo doo rooted in their beliefs too?
How does one stop going around in circles with this?
We support them, we love them, and we pray for them.

So here's the flip side. Good news last, remember?
We got to another patients house, rather, her vegetable stand on the side of the road, and started chatting. She said she had gone to her village the day before and they told her that her disease was "unnatural" and it was the result of curses from her enemies. This guy was selling healing at the bargain price of $400. Business must be good. We all looked at eachother with that 'not again' look. Its honestly discouraging to see people being decieved into having false hope. We sit week after week and explain that no, we are not holding out on a pill that can cure them, no we don't think the corrupt doctor at the only hospital should do surgery when it would only make matters worse, no we don't think there is anymore that can be done to save their life. Some people are desperate, how can you blame them?
As my patient was explaining her trip all of these things are rushing through my head, leaving me...you know the word...flabbergasted.
But then something unexpected...
She made a clicking noise with her tongue as she shook her head back and forth.
"I don't belive him, no no. I will not do that."
I smile now thinking about it. The only word to describe this patient is 'sassy'. She is full of life, has a total attitude, and I love her. Basically she's not taking crap from anyone, regardless of what they promise.
We prayed with her as we do every week. We prayed against any real curses on her life but also for her belief to remain that God is stronger and more powerful than any curse (which she clearly already knows)

My last hit and miss this week, then I'm off to start my long weekend. This seems silly but it made me smile today.
Back in 'the day' I listened to the band Phish. Ok, thats a gross understatement, I won't go into detail for the interest of time, but sufice to say I was a BIG fan. The last time I saw them play was in their final tour 8 years ago. Now they are back, great news. They are playing in MA while I am gone, good news, kinda bummed, whatever though. They are playing at Fenway Park, what the heck!? It seems ridiculous, but I was really wishing I could be there. Its small, its trivial, but I'm being honest. I'm usually not so nostalgic, but this news really did it to me.
Today I was sitting in my patients house (the one with the grandson Glory). He was laying in her lap and I was running my finger tips up and down his arm. As I felt his velvety skin underneath my touch my heart swelled.

I wouldn't trade this for anything in the world.

When asked to sacrifice things, big or small, whether it be a (sweet) concert or a years worth of time spent together with family, God quietly says;

Look here, look what I have for you, you won't believe how good it is!

2 comments:

Krista Photography said...

I love you and miss you!!!!

Anonymous said...

You have learned Africans are no different than Americans when faced with a terminal disease and will try most anything for a cure outside of the 'traditional ways'.

On our first trip to Haiti God spoke to me about being content through Paul's words in Philippians. 'For I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what is is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in ANY and EVERY situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through Him who gives me strength. Phil 4:11b-13

Glory provided you with contentment and you were the sweet aroma of Christ to him and his grandmother.
Love, Momma