Sunday, April 5, 2009

No surprises here

I finally finished my monthly newsletter and figured I would post it here as well. If you follow me here you won't find too many new and exciting stories, however I have included a prayer request.



April 5, 2009
Ahoy Maty’s!
I contemplated all of the different ways to greet you using ship “lingo”. Clearly, my best effort is painfully cheesy. How about the common greeting of the kids here when we leave the ship?

Bonjour Yovo’s! (Hello white ones) Yup, I like that one more!
I’ll back up slightly to the last two months and what I’ve been up to, but not so much that I bore you. I went through an intense five week training down at Mercy Ships International Operations Center in East Texas. I was stretched beyond what I thought possible but managed to have some fun fighting fires and jumping into a pool with a ‘gumby’ suit on in the meantime. I quickly realized why Mercy Ships requires this extensive training for people going to the ship long term. What I experienced was invaluable. Not to mention, if for any reason I have to “abandon ship” (although we are technically docked for 90% of the trip), I know how to safely jump out of the ship and haul myself into a lifeboat where all the tasty, rationed food and water I can dream of await me, mmm.

I got to the ship one month ago and quickly started adjusting to my new home. For those of you who don’t know, I’ve actually been to this same country in Africa before for a short term trip. So the initial culture shock really was more of a slight bump, however; living here is proving to be a bit of an adjustment mentally, which I suppose, is entirely normal.
Africa is an incredible place. I don’t know how I would begin to create a picture that would do it justice. Everyday I walk off the ship into thick, hot, dusty air. Recently it’s been in the low 90’s, BUT the “feels like” temp is around 108, which is quite cozy really. As I near the end of the dock I’m introduced to a scene similar to what you would see on some commercial asking you to help the poor and unfortunate in some far off land. If I’m being honest here, I’ll tell you that the scene in your head isn’t entirely accurate. I will not paint you a picture of poverty or sickness without first trying to explain the smiles that light up the faces of the people who live at the end of the dock and all over this country. It is too bad you don’t get a chance to see the joy in Africans eyes when you turn on your TV. If you did, you would understand why I love the people here, and why I have so much more to learn from them than I do to teach. The people here need our partnership, our compassion, our service, but not our pity. Please believe that. God has called me here to love and embrace the people of Benin and I am working everyday to fulfill that calling, to be the hands and feet of God, to be love in action.

This month I have faced a lot of difficulties in facing the harsh reality that people’s geography can be the difference between life and death. My heart cries out for my patients and countless others every day. Please pray against any discouraging thoughts or feelings of hopelessness as I continue to adjust to my new home. I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart, the joy and hope I have here every day is certainly sustained by your continued support and prayers. They mean more to me than I can express here in words.
I have vowed to keep these newsletters to a page every month. So her it is, short and sweet. Be blessed, Sincerely, Suzanne.

Micah 6:8 “And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly, love mercy, and walk humbly with your God”

1 comment:

Unknown said...

"The people here need our partnership, our compassion, our service, but not our pity. Please believe that."

Thank you Su-ey. Thank you!
I am praying fervently for hopefulness in your heart. Please write a book when you get back.
Love you mucho