Monday, April 20, 2009

No peeing in the pool...

but the patio next to the pool is totally fair game...

hah. So I've been living in Africa for 6 weeks now. The other night a new friend asked, while we were walking down the dock, if this was all becoming "normal".

I answered "yes".
That answer in itself is kinda weird for me. I have gone through all of my adjustment stages and I am finally feeling like this is home.

What that means is...

When I see a guy with a freezer loosely tied to the back of his motor bike I get out my camera to capture the picture purely for the purpose of sharing it with you. I see it quite often and therefore only shake my head and smile when he starts passing people on the washboard-like bumpy dirt roads. Also, please notice the electrical wires.



About once a week I marvel at how resourceful people here are. The picture below is of the boats "under arrest" by the port for one reason or another (probably lack of payment). So its funny enough that they are all tied up together, but the true ingenuity shines when another boat arrives to take hundreds of men, women, and children of various ages over to another port. In order to board they all walk across the 4 or 5 boats, using them as a bridge/gangplank. It works, and I hardly cringe anymore thinking about the tiny babies fastened to their momma's backs while she jumps from one boat to another.




Lets see...what else?

I know how well we are doing on time if we are within and hour and a half of when we said we would be somewhere. If its within an hour, well, we are just fantastic, and probably not relying on a local to get us somewhere.

And most recently...

We were all swimming last weekend at a hotel that lets us come to use their pool. A big family walks in and sits at the tables in the shade on the little patio.

Oh, side note. I'm also used to the Africans laughing at us when we intentionally sit in the sun. They do everything they can to get out of it and the (silly)yovo's are basking in it every chance we get.

Ok, back to the big family at the pool. There is a dad and about 5 kids, the youngest looked about 4 years old.

As I am talking to my friend I am facing the family and see the little boy unzip his pants. I make sure my friend turns in time to see the kid pee all over the place and all we could do was laugh. The dad is completely unaware of what has happened, and honestly it was too late anyways. Apparently the pool staff was also watching and didn't appreciate the humor in the situation. The staff explained to the dad what they had just seen. He calls the son over and asks "Did you just go wee-wee?" The boy shook his head no, although his unbuckled belt surely gave him up.

As far as everyday things...
I think it is completely normal to have huge fresh mango's and slices of ripe watermelon after dinner every night.
Then there's the Milch. It does a body good (?)




Everyday I drive by women selling dresses which they display by hanging them in the trees. I have to say this is one of my favorites.



This is the most colorful place I have ever been, in every sense of the word. The people are boisterous and friendly. They throw their head into your shoulder when they laugh, and smile big when you pass by. There is sorrow here, I won't deny that. But oh, the joy is so much bigger.

I am so excited to be a part of this world. I'm proud to call it home.

Isaiah 61:3
"Bestow on them a crown of beauty instead of ashes, the oil of gladness instead of mourning, and a garment of praise instead of a spirit of despair."

1 comment:

Sher Sutherland said...

I SO want to be a part of it all! The joy, the discovery, the realness, the genius (using sequestered boats as a means to get from here to there), the color... I appreciate your posts and pics that I am SO living vicariously through.