Monday, June 29, 2009

Everyone together with me...

Several months ago-

American:
"We take the elevators much more often than the stairs at home"

West African:
"Please, I don't understand this word, elevator?"

American:
"You know, the box-thing you push the button for and get into that pulls you by a cord up to the next floor?"

West African:
"Ah-huh, ok"

Though the course of several months have this conversation 6,341 times (just inserting a different word for elevator)

Today-

American:
"You need a walkie-talkie to talk to give Suzanne directions from way back there in the car."

West African:
:blank stare:

American:
"Oh wait, do you know what a walkie-talkie is?"

West African:
"Of course"

"Except we call it a talkie-walkie"

Now everyone together with me...
Clap hands together once and hold your palms up in the air for a second. That's the West African version of an American shoulder shrug, or a French hands up in the air and "pugh" noise.

Disclaimer #1
I'm a bit sarcastic
Disclaimer#2
I second guess whether or not I'm too sarcastic and just discussed with friends the fact that I was going to edit this after posting. They told me I didn't have to. I'm doing it anyways. Clearly.
Disclaimer #3
My translator rocks, and these daily instances make me love Africa even more.

No comments: