Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Finally!

I'm going to let you all in on a little secret...

I've always loved the song "Africa" by Toto. Maybe its the synthesized sound that all 80's bands embraced with such ease and ability. Or maybe its how the lead singer makes you understand and share his passion for the song by so dramatically changing his voice between the verses and the chorus.

According to Wikipedia;

"With Toto IV, the band delivered one of the most commercially successful records of the 80s. The album featured three singles that reached the Top 10 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart: "Rosanna"; "Africa"; and "I Won't Hold You Back". The album also made several worldwide charts, bringing the band to new audiences. "Africa" topped the charts in February 1983 and was a constant presence on radios across the globe"

Clearly it's an awesome song. Moving on.
My second secret is that since deciding to come here, I have been more than excited to actually "pass some rains down in Africa"(whatever that means...). Yes its cheesy, yes its slightly embarrassing, yes its absolutely true.

I have excitedly been putting together this picture montage to share with all, and I think its finally time for the big reveal. (click on any of the pictures to make them bigger)

I am starting off with my absolute favorite. This is the "beach" road which leads to many fun places. I had NO problem saying yes to driving for this trip, and I am eternally grateful to my friend Tracy who volunteered herself to be dropped off after the puddles, wait while I backed up through them again, and risk getting some mud on her shoes while I floored it, all so we could have a picture to commemorate the day.


People asked me before I left if I really needed to bring rain boots with me. The answer is a resounding "yes".


First "good" storm of the season. My friend and I were sitting in the dining room during lunch when the ominous black clouds rolled in. We looked at each other, immediately got up, and ran up to Deck 7. You know in Forest Gump when he talks about sideways rain? This is me being absolutely assaulted by it (and loving every second).


Perfectly normal


The two pictures below of the roads are from today while we were out visiting patients. I also wanted to make sure I included a picture of how the women all wear their shower caps on days like today. A girls gotta do what a girls gotta do.



Walking into my patients house.

A little rain doesn't stop people from gong to church here. I'm so touched by this, I love it. Admit it, you've groan about going to church from time to time. People here will do ANYthing to be able to have the opportunity, even if it means standing on cinder blocks during worship.




They'll give you a "good price" for a mud bath.



Have you taken your malaria meds today? Yes, those are mosquito's, and this picture makes my skin crawl a little.


I love that I live in a place where shower caps are a fashion statement and umbrellas cost double on days when its raining. I love that the guys standing around outside the restaurant carry table-top umbrellas to walk you to your car (but fail to realize they force you to walk through a knee deep puddle in the process). (Thank you Kathleen for posing)




Oh Africa, you rock.



2 comments:

Jamie said...

I love the song "Africa" as well... and have listened to it a lot lately! Looking forward to seeing you in less than 2 months!

Mom Taylor said...

Ummm... I will encourage Becca to hit up the Walmart for some boots.. and an umbrella.