Sunday, September 27, 2009

Once in a lifetime

I just dropped my mom off at the airport.
What a strange feeling.

I instantly felt like I hadn't spent enough time with her, I didn't make her time special enough, I should have done things differently.
How quickly attempts at stealing joy can come. Like a thief in the night...

We had an incredible month, a strange collision of worlds. All of a sudden my mom was on the ship, at dinner, ready for work with me.
We went out each morning side by side. We prayed for the patients, played with babies, and sat underneath avocado trees during visits.
We watched movies, ate popcorn, and laughed with eachother.
We made memories and shared jokes only the two of us would understand. We sat on the beach, on boats, and piled on top of each other for a two hour taxi drive.

She saw my world and I got to share everything I love about Africa with my best friend from home. I watched her react to patients and situations like a natural, loving every encounter, hug, and squeeze, as I knew she would.
I love my mom so much, and it doesn't get easier to say goodbye when you've done it before. My heart aches for the time that went by so fast.
As I cried tonight, sad that I had somehow screwed up, I thought;

I had one chance, a once in a lifetime chance to make this good.


Now, as I sit here and upload photos to facebook, reflecting on the past month, I realize that yes, this experience was indeed once in a lifetime.
And we had an amazing time.

What a privilege, God. Thank you so much.

P.S.- Hi mom!

No comments: