Monday, September 7, 2009

A good day

It’s funny to me how as we grow up, a ‘good day’ can be viewed and weighed so differently.

This morning I got up, excited to start the day. It was finally time to see if all 3 families would show up with their kids so we could head to the hospital here on a quest for the three kiddo’s second round of chemotherapy. At 8:30 my translator reported the first little girl, Maddie, had arrived. The plan was to leave at 9 from the ship, too many obstacles lay between here and there to not take it upon ourselves to personally hand-deliver the children to the care of the local doctor.

I smiled when I saw Luc’s dad parking his bike by the end of our gangway while we walked out into the hazy heat. We only were waiting on Rachelle. Once we called her, we learned from someone (still never sure who exactly answers the phone) that she was traveling and should be at the ship by 10:30. No worries, small bump, so we piled into the land rover and started our trek to the hospital.

Once there we settled little Luc and Maddie in, stole some kisses from the other little kids staying in the room, and talked with all of the parents about what to expect. The nurses had their arms full of the medication and supplies we provide, right down t the IV tubing. We got back to the ship to find no one waiting for us. Still ok, it’s early enough.

A quick trip to our hospitality center to check in and re-stock some medication for the sweetest cleft lip/palate baby ever, and when we returned, I felt my heart drop a little with no signs of Rachelle. She has a far way to travel, with an impossible amount of glitches that can occur between home and the city.

Please God

We ate lunch and afterwards I found myself repeatedly going outside for a quick scan (knowing all of security was on the lookout for us too). At 3 my mom and I (oh yea, my mom is here for those of you who don’t already know that. I’ll go into more detail in the next post, fun stuff) decided to split and do a few things around the ship. My spirit was a little down, I wanted so badly for Rachelle to make it here. She has a special place in my heart, especially after taking care of her on the ward a few weeks ago. I trusted that mama to come with her; I could see it in her eyes when I dropped them at a taxi last time that her promises were earnest.

Please get here

At 3:30 I decided to go through our hold, the place where patients come into the ship to wait. My eyes immediately fell on a familiar, smiling face. It took my mind a minute to register it, but I knew within seconds they had made it. Rachelle’s mom slapped my hand hard and we exchanged a solid handshake. We threw formalities out and hugged, it was just too exciting to see each other. Rachelle was next, with her striking face, far more beautiful and mature than her 13 years. We made our way to the hospital, my heart soaring the whole way.

She made it

Tonight as I type, all three kids are sleeping in a small, simple, hospital room. They are tucked in next to their mama’s who all love them, who care for them sweetly and sincerely. Their care has been prayed over; Heaven has heard and knows each and every request that has been made on their behalf.

Tonight as I type, I think back to the sheet of paper that fell out of my prayer journal earlier. I don’t know why, but an old assignment from a shift dated Aug 4 was stuck inside. Rachelle’s name appears just over baby Hubert’s, two kids my heart has opened up wide to since being here. This is what I wrote after reflecting a bit on what the last month has brought;

Thank you, God. My heart heals as the days and blessing are poured out. I’m content, you are all I need. I love you and how good you are.

I realized today, that you don't have to be completely healed of heartbreak in order to love fully and wholeheartedly again.

I have had a long couple of weeks, and I am still processing so much, but I am content. By the end of the day, my face was full of kisses, I had been hugged a million times, and I had smiled and laughed with three kids and their mama’s who all have hope. We all have beautiful, shining, joyful hope.


Now that’s a good day, one I wouldn't trade for the world.


Rachelle and I after her last admission





1 comment:

Mom Taylor said...

suzanne, I had yet another person come up to me at church that has somehow stumbled upon your blog. Again, I heard their comment and agreed.. you need to get these stories published. Really. I've still got so many of your stories running around in my head. You have touched many of our lives here at Immanuel Church. Thank you so much for taking the time to write for us; for us, here in our comfortable houses, who will probably never see the suffering you and all the staff there sees. And I will keep you in my prayers, too.