Monday, August 24, 2009

Its ok

We said goodbye to Hubert this morning. He went to be with Jesus while being rocked by his dad, something so beautiful, so precious, I'm not sure I'll do it justice by trying to explain.
Over the last few days your prayers and mine have been answered, just not necessarily always as we would have had it.
On Friday evening I talked about how there was a peace in the small ICU room. I truly believe that day, as countless people prayed, a small fire was sparked and began to grow. There was love in the room that before was void of any affection. There was life in the eyes of Hubert, Pauline his older sister, and their mama. The nurses closest to them felt it, we knew in our hearts that all would be well in the end, that God had started a work in that small families life.
When I checked in this morning and Ali let me know it wouldn't be long, I was at peace. Of course its hard, of course my heart breaks, obviously I hurt, but it is ok.

A few weeks ago I told you about a mom who would ignore her baby's cries, who nearly let her son starve to death. Her eyes were dead, unfeeling. She had no regard for her daughter whose shoulders withered every time her mom spoke to her in harsh tones. This week, as we all prayed, that mama started looking at her son with loving eyes. Instead of half-heartedly holding him during his care, she carefully placed cool clothes on his feverish body, holding him close. She had tears in her eyes as she watched him decline. Pauline started chatting and playing, unfolding smiles buried deep within her mamas heart. The father who admittedly wouldn't take ownership of his own son, asked to give him a bath on Friday night, and then held him today as he drew his last breaths.
As we all prayed, God worked hard, His signature was all over that sanctuary we call the ICU.

The seeds of life have been planted in that family. I promise you I believe that with everything in me, all that I am.
Hubert's life was short, but wow, what a life. He was the face of love, the representation of why we do what we do. His short life may very well be the start of an amazing journey for countless people. That, my friends, is what a miracle looks like. It is sad when a baby dies, I don't have tears left after the last few days.

Just please don't be mistaken. My tears are not of injustice, nor are they from loss. My most recent tears came when I felt the weight of Hubert's grieving mom on my shoulder, when I held his small body, free from the tubes and wires, and heard God whisper;

Its ok, he's with me now

1 comment:

Krista Photography said...

it is precious to me that Hubert has been given such a loving and tender tribute over the last few weeks through you. And that not only has his little life had an impact in this world, on his family and on you, but that he will be remembered by many because you've shared him with us. sending a hug your way...