Monday, August 10, 2009

orange oranges and friends

You know you're sick when you wake up and change from one pair of sweatpants to a more 'presentable' pair to go out to the store for soup.
Well, I suppose people who know me read this so I must admit I wear said 'presentable' sweats out even if I'm not sick, but that's neither here nor' there.

Yesterday as I slept on and off, I managed to miss every meal served, however I could hardly have cared, something about fish when you are sniffling and hacking doesn't sound very appetizing. I joked with my mom about how I could use some homemade soup, really showing just how pathetic we all get when we are sick (admit it, quietly if you must, but you know you do it).
My friend Laura, who knew to find me watching movies in my room, came in after her shift to check in. She quickly sprung into action, boiled some water, and dug through a med stash. Before I knew it I was back in front of my movie with a hot water bottle, ramen noodles, green tea with honey, and lungs filled with a brochodilator that caused my wheezing to cease immediately.
This morning, rather, afternoon, when I emerged from my room in my (nice) sweatpants to go to the ship shop, I ran into Laura. She held in her hand two orange oranges and told me she was on her way to see me with a fresh supply of soup. My eyes were wide looking at the oranges, "they're beautiful" I exclaimed.
"I know, I almost got in trouble for taking 2"
Here in Africa, at least this portion of Africa, oranges are green. Something about chlorophyll and the heat (who cares why) causes them to be green (and not terribly tasty). None of us have had an 'orange orange' in over 5 months, and today we were allowed 1 each.

Laura followed me back to my room, armed with juice and fruit, where I will continue to watch movies and sip green tea with honey, smiling over how blessed I am. Last night we prayed together and once Laura had finished, I prayed a simple 'thanks' for an amazing friend. Here when someone says "God is good", everyone replies, "All the time".
Every need, even the small, unimportant desire for some soup and TLC, is met. Some days all you need is a little gesture to make you realize how much you are loved. Today it is the two oranges sitting next to me. Not only did she think to get one for me, she gave me hers too.

Proverbs 17:17
"A friend loves at all times"

No comments: