Sunday, January 11, 2009

!

I have been brainstorming a title for this post and as you can see it was all in vain. I am unable to put into words what I'm feeling right now, but I will tell you its awesome! I am going to try and make a list of a few of things that have been going on in the last couple of months. In no way will this be an exhaustive list. I may even 'edit to add' when I think of more things that will fit on this list. So, in no particular order here ya' go.

(So I just tried to start with being called to Mercy Ships and there is no way I can go that far back and be able to sleep before my flight in 7 hours).

~Started out with fundraising feeling a little weary about the impossibly big number hanging over my head. Started struggling with trust and instead of holding it in decided to share here on this trusty blog and with friends. Within days I received an email from a friend telling me a donation was made to my account. The next email from the same friend had a story about Mother Theresa and the difference between asking for clarity vs. trust. This gave me a boost and I joyfully learned another valuable lesson in trust.

~I woke up one day with the weight of preparation heavy on me. I prayed for relief that morning. When the mail came in I got an anonymous letter and support money with Phil. 1:3 written on it. I smiled at the incredible gift.

~I was standing in the grocery store and while shopping for veggies I heard a woman ask where the "gahlic" was (garlic for any of you non-bostonians reading this). This set off a twinge of sadness in realizing I would be away from home for quite a while and I felt a little sad thinking it might be hard to find someone who shared the familiarity I love about having lived here my whole life. The NEXT day my partner for next year (two of us women are the palliative care team). She said 2 different people from the ship had contacted her about me and she wanted to get to know me a little. In the first few sentences she wrote "I am from the Boston-Cambridge area". Ha, why was I surprised?

~Last Thursday I found myself surrounded by the people closest to me. It was incredible to be able to see everyone and I must say I was humbled yet again by peoples generosity. My small group of girlfriends who haven't all been together since a falling out over a year ago were all together again. This was only made possible by intense forgiveness and love shown all around, good stuff.

~Tonight at church I felt an overwhelming sense of community, one that brought me to tears. Not only was I surrounded by friends, I was standing amongst brothers and sisters. I looked around at all of the people who have stood by my and walked beside me. A lot of them surprised me with their interest in what I am off to do, most surpassed all expectations of what I consider a "friend" to be.

~Tonight I also received two checks which brought me to 100% in my fundraising goal. I had to tell myself over and over during the last months not to worry about having full support until I got closer to Africa. That I didn't need it by the time I went to Texas (in 6.5 hrs). I trusted all would work out. Well, hows this timing?? The night before I leave for Texas I deposit the final checks. I am still in awe of this one...

~And finally what I loved most about today. Once I got home from church my whole family sat down and prayed for me. I found myself thanking God for what an incredible support I have here at home. We are struggling between celebrating this great beginning and feeling sad about the separation from each other, but that doesn't ever stop us from trusting God is in control.

Ok. I need to wrap this up. I just set my alarm to go off 3.5 hours from now. Thank you for all who are reading who have supported me financially, and more importantly through prayer. I would not, and cannot make it through 2009 without all of your support!!!

2 comments:

Krista Photography said...

that is awesome!!! I'm so excited for you! :D

Anonymous said...

Soo cool! Thanks for writing this, its so awesome to see how God brings things together for us.