Sunday, January 25, 2009

A little QT

Since arriving in Texas I have had two very special times of complete quiet and good reflection on my relationship with God. The first time
was impromptu, and I stole away to a little spot along one of the many trails on campus here. It was a perfect "date" (I'll get to why I call it that later). The pictures below are from that afternoon (someone told me yesterday to put more pictures of myself on here...I digress)




Yesterday we took off for Tyler State park for an official "date" with God. Oh yeah, why I call it a date. The instructions we were given were to bring just a notebook and bible. No to do lists, no books or music. This was to be a silent retreat. Basically we were told to treat it like a date and not do things we wouldn't do while on a date. So there ya go, nothing special or profound. I just like thinking of it in that way now, makes it a little more special.
So 30 something adults bundled up (its only 40 here!) and trekked into the park. I wasn't sure what to expect but right off the bat I read Romans 8:6 "The mind of a sinful man is death, but the mind controlled by the spirit is life and peace." I wasn't sure exactly if this would at all relate to my day but I went on and really had some good time of prayer. At one point I wondered if it would be selfish to ask God the question "what about me". Around that time it got almost unbearably cold, I think I had been sitting still for almost an hour and a half. I walked up to a little bench 15 feet behind me and after a few jumping jacks sat down wondering "whats next". Instead of telling you, I suppose I'll throw the picture in now, its as good a time as any...



Yup, 6 feet in front of me sat this cross on the ground. All of a sudden I knew I had to read about the crucifixion so I opened my bible to John and started in chapter 16 which talks about the Holy Spirit. Then I get to chapter 17 and can't believe what I see. John 17 : 20-25 tells us that Jesus prayed for us. Did you catch that? Jesus prayed for me, and He prayed for you. Very specifically He prayed that we may have the love God has for Him inside us. By the way, this prayer came right before He died for us. I cried an apology out to God. I am amazed that someone so pure and holy not only died for me and my gross sins, He prayed that I may live with the knowledge of the greatest love on earth. Almost immediately I realized all was forgiven. I joked a while ago that I didn't know just how much I had to repent for all of the years spent away from God. Do you do it in chunks...like, "I am sorry for all of the actions that took place between 99' and 01'?? Hah, nope, I don't think so either. Basically I have repented as I remember specifics, or felt convicted to do so.
I got on my knees in front of the cross and truly thanked God. I would never say my prayers of thanks up until yesterday were disingenuous, but I know they were never said with such a clear understanding of the sacrifice made for me. I cried for the suffering Jesus went through and *cough, cough* cried again when I read about Him rising from the dead. Now seriously, how many times have we all heard the Easter story? Wow, I just realized Easter is when I re-committed my life. Honestly, that just now dawned on me. I guess I have come sort of full circle since then. hah, God is so good.
Ok, now for the wrap up...
Remember I told you about the verse at the beginning of my day? I won't make you go back and look for it.
Romans 8:6
"The mind of a sinful man is death, but the mind controlled by the spirit is life and peace."
Best date ever ;)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

suey, reading your words every few days is inspiring me to get through some really difficult times in my life right now. i admire you and i'm so happy for you that you're on this journey. thanks for sharing all of this each day.

love your cousin emily

Anonymous said...

Suzy,
I love how you are trying to love and get to know God with all your 'heart, mind and strength'. How you are being blessed by this time you are spending with Him. It will serve you well as you can then be a blessing to others as you minister in Africa. What an important time of preparation this is for you.
Love, Champagne

Anonymous said...

Suze,
Wow this was a great post. I was reading from the latest post to the earliest, and every post is great but I especially liked this one.
I've been sitting here reading your blog and tears keep coming to my eyes. It doesn't take much to make me cry. An episode of Friday Night Lights does it every time, but these tears were different.
I'm SO happy for you and all that you are learning. Your words are really profound.
I just wanted to drop you a note and tell you I really enjoyed reading about your date. Keep it coming!

Love