Saturday, January 17, 2009

Transitions

I have been debating on what to call this post. With so many transitions on the horizon I feel like I don't want to waste the word on one of the smaller ones. Forgive me if I repeat it, but hopefully I will come up with something catchier (is that a word? it looks funny to me) by the next time this topic undoubtedly comes up.
Week one of training is over here in Texas. It was weird saying goodbye to people I felt had become such close friends in such a short time. Knowing I will see most of them this summer is awesome (Hi guys!!)
After talking to one of my best friends last night I felt numb. There is honestly no other way to describe it. I find myself feeling torn between here and home. Its like my legs are ready to run ahead at full speed but my arms are wrapped around my family and friends back home. I said last night to my dad that I know God wants me here and in Africa so I suppose He wins.
:side note: I get the feeling that if I don't put a disclaimer that I am sarcastic some of you reading could mistake the last comment as crass. So consider yourself warned.
I will quickly rewind to my first 5 minutes here in Texas. As we were driving through the boondocks to the town right smack dab in the middle of nowhere, I suddenly found myself wondering how the HECK I got to where I was. I left my job, left my home, and signed up to live on a ship off the coast of Africa. So there I was, sitting in front of my closet organizing my clothes feeling totally bizarre. All of the surrealism of weeks past had come slamming down on me in one moment. I'm here, this is starting. So guess what? I prayed. I prayed for God to meet me in my little corner of my new temporary home. Guess what else? He met me there. Last night I prayed for God to be with me again. I surrendered this whole situation to Him. I prayed for the strength to continue this transitioning and accept my circumstances. He was there in an instant, comforting me and re-affirming me as I curled up under the covers and talked to Him from my tiny corner of the world. I think of a sermon given on being fishers of men. When Jesus asked the disciples to drop their nets and follow Him they did. No questions. The pastor giving the sermon asked if we would drop our nets or end up with rope burns from hanging on to them. Hmmm, ok, I get it now.
So here I am, taking this all one day at a time, trying to soak up every moment. I wanted to leave off with a verse and I think I found the right one. It has come up several times (the reference) and I finally looked it up just a few minutes ago.
Phil. 4:6
"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God"
One of the men teaching last week said the following phrase several times. It has certainly stuck in my mind, and I am excited to remember it for years to come.
"Gods work done Gods way will never lack Gods supply". Oh, oh, and an even better one...
"The safest place in the world to be is in the very center of Gods will". Whew. Whatever corner of the world I find myself in I hope I can always be right in the center Of Gods will. I can only imagine what an adventure it will be.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love that verse! Def a good one to memorize

Krista Photography said...

I love that you prayed for God to meet you in your little corner :) I need to pray that more often...