Saturday, January 31, 2009

Now I'm really livin'

Up until last week I was finding myself somewhat stuck. Sorry for the vagueness, if you are wondering what the heck "stuck" means, imagine how I felt, I was living it. We finished up an entire three days of classroom time dedicated to personality testing and as a result my mind was a tornado of, well, swirling, uh, craziness?? Whew, that was a bit of a stretch, eh? I just got out of another doozy of a class.
Ok, last week. On Thursday we had a community meeting with all of Mercy Ships where they showed one of Rob Bell's nooma videos, Today. I more or less cried through the last 5 minutes of it (for those of you who laughed at this because you are aware his videos are only 10 minutes long, its ok, I understand)
Basically he talks about a whole bunch of stuff including not living in the past and living for today. I have always backed this line of thinking and have always strived to apply it in my life. The three days before that left me examining my S/C personality and although they tell you not to consider the terms negative I found that nearly impossible. Basically I was looking at myself under a microscope. My relationship with God, readiness to ever be in a relationship again, the quality of friend I am, if I am ready to be a missionary, if God was happy with how I am living, absolutely nothing was safe from my self-imposed scrutiny. I continued my day Thursday with a lump in my throat that practically choked me until I could just sob when I got back to my dorm. I went to bed around 6 and nearly slept through until 7 the next morning. I felt a little refreshed and my mind eased a little in talking with some friends here who expressed the same grief. Friday was one of the prettier days we have had here and I felt a strong pull to return to my quiet sun drenched spot after class and talk all of this over with God.
I could hardly hold back tears as I neared the fence, I craved the quiet and aloneness with God so much it ached. As it turns out the tears didn't flow like I thought they would. Within minutes I leaned up against the cold metal and felt the sun on my face. I felt absolute stillness, followed by what I can only describe as God speaking into my heart. More or less this is what I knew I was being told~

Lets go. Pick yourself up and be confident in me and yourself. You don't have to have it all figured out. When the times comes for something new I will be there with you, leading you each step of the way
. Stop dwelling on things you cannot change. Stop thinking about your past, if you need more lessons from that I will show you then when you need to learn them. Right now its time to get up and get going.

This was not exactly the gentle prodding I am used to. I don't know if it was because I was standing on the border of big field in Texas, but I kept thinking about the phrase "pull yourself up by your bootstraps", haha. What are bootstraps anyways??
I walked away feeling lighter and overall pretty well-adjusted. I am learning about confidence, and honestly its pretty freakin' awesome. I was saying to someone I can't wait to get to Africa so God can start stretching me and challenging me. The person I was talking to was like "oh, you mean you want to start living?" um, yup.
As I reflect on the last few days I realize that I have slowly started to live more and more. It is strangely liberating and simultaneously scary to leave behind everything I know and follow a God I know is there but cannot see. What I am realizing is this is what living is. Here are some marginally comical illustrations of how I have been "living" lately:

~Singing worship in a old hippie commune in E. Texas before class every morning.
~Driving down country rd 724 at 2:30 am listening to daft punk with a fellow American, a Brit, and an Australian all of whom I have met in the last 3 weeks.
~Finding God by an old rusty fence.
~Singing and fully participating in the hokey pokey around a campfire with a bunch of people, none of whom were children.
~Praying corporately with a group of people who all have hearts desperate to see change in the lives of the poor.
~Real, raw conversations with people who also admit to not having everything figured out and desperately seek to trust God.

The list goes on, and I am loving and living for every moment in each day.

Joshua 1:9
Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go."


1 comment:

Sher Sutherland said...

I can tell you are. Congratulations! And fasten your seat belt, because I think is just the beginning!