Monday, January 5, 2009

A Lesson for the Road

As I sit here at the end of a long, productive day, I can't shut my mind off to everything I have learned. Just today. I consolidated all of my things that will definitely not be coming with me on my adventures this year. This absolutely does not mean I am packed, just a step closer I suppose. While reorganizing and semi-packing I listened to a couple of podcasts from a church called Mosaic out in CA. The pastor there is Erwin McManus and I am really liking his messages. The second one I listened to was titled "Enjoy" One of the last points he made was incredible. I was about to start de-cluttering a section of my room and literally stopped to sit down, rewind, and start writing every detail of what he was saying. Hopefully I can deliver the point to a certain degree of understanding...

"For so many of us the only emotions we believe are authentic are the ones that come out of brokenness. Because real despair is a more genuine, profound human emotion than false hope. See real loneliness and isolation, the authenticity of that human experience, is more profoundly authentic than superficial love. Despair and being overwhelmed is more profound, more often experienced, and more significant than joy." The idea of love, peace, joy, and enjoyment often seems to be a language of the superficial (its not easy being green...I mean, being a Christian) Despair is an easier emotion to get to than joy. You can't get to joy without God. Take bitterness vs. forgiveness. Forgiveness is harder because it is a deeper emotion, it is easier to stay bitter than it is to forgive. The deeper emotions cannot be reached without God. Without God we are stuck in our darkest moments. Superficial emotion is just as bad. Have we not been called to a life of joy, peace, love, enjoyment, hope, mercy, forgiveness, and compassion which are all the most profound of all human experiences? "As hard as you try you will never find joy in life, you have to bring joy to life"

So there you have it. I'm not sure about you, but this lesson was one I needed to hear, rewind, and write down. I prayed last night for more of a connectedness with God, and this seemed to be about as practical a way as possible to show me what it takes, and what the product of that closeness looks like. I am pretty sure there will be opportunities next year for despair to gobble me up and swallow me whole. Even though it will be harder to push on and bring joy (and mercy, and compassion, and love...) I will gladly do it. Life and faith cannot be sustained by superficial emotions, and I don't intend to pack any of those in my carry on.

:side note: Did anyone get the Kermit reference? Last night I heard someone talk about how they always thought being a Christian meant being happy all of the time, which would be superficial, hence me throwing in a bad joke within the sermon. Sometimes I can't help myself, sorry Mr. McManus.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

From memory...
Today my mom (Ryan's grandmother) and I were looking at the pictures of the Gateway class. She said "That one named Suzanne sure is full of sparkle and light." I immediately gave her your blog address so she could see just how much light you have (and where it comes from!).