Thursday, January 1, 2009

There is a Season

So today was my last day of work. I have been at Children's Hospital Boston for 2 years, and have loved every minute of it. I knew today would be hard, saying good bye is not my strong suit. At the end of the day as I tried to stay composed in the back room at work people started talking about our staff and job. We aren't a group of nurses who complain or gripe about being overworked or stressed out. We laugh together,cry together, and then laugh telling stories about the times we have cried during work. I worked with a very special group of people the last two years, and I think I have killed the word "bittersweet" by using it everyday lately in talking about leaving. I will have snapshots of this job ingrained in my head forever, and knowing that I only have these memories to hold onto is hard. I explained closure to my friends the other day. I get the whole "its not goodbye" spiel,and honestly, its getting old. I have come to look at my life as a book with all of its many chapters. This is the end of a chapter, not a closed book, but still an end of sorts. I need to treat this closure for what it is, and I'm actually doing a pretty good job considering my aversion to goodbye's.
I have left something incredibly comfortable and fun, an idol at one point. I am psyched to see what lies ahead because as I see it, it can only get better. I expect the unexpected and I am up for the challenge. I am on to another chapter, and man I love a good book!
This song was stuck in my head driving home. It actually brought me some peace as I drove. I'll let you know the Byrds did not write the lyrics to this song (shocker, they got famous off of stealing other peoples stuff to begin with ;)
The following is Ecclesiastes 3:1-8, cut and pasted by Pete Segeer, then made into a classic rock hit.

To everything (turn, turn, turn)
There is a season (turn, turn, turn)
And a time for every purpose, under heaven

A time to be born, a time to die
A time to plant, a time to reap
A time to kill, a time to heal
A time to laugh, a time to weep

To everything (turn, turn, turn)
There is a season (turn, turn, turn)
And a time for every purpose, under heaven

A time to build up,a time to break down
A time to dance, a time to mourn
A time to cast away stones, a time to gather stones together

To everything (turn, turn, turn)
There is a season (turn, turn, turn)
And a time for every purpose, under heaven

A time of love, a time of hate
A time of war, a time of peace
A time you may embrace, a time to refrain from embracing

To everything (turn, turn, turn)
There is a season (turn, turn, turn)
And a time for every purpose, under heaven

A time to gain, a time to lose
A time to rend, a time to sew
A time to love, a time to hate
A time for peace, I swear its not too late

1 comment:

Allison said...

Thanks for your comment on my blog when I was feeling the same way just a few weeks ago when I was leaving my job. It will be exciting to see what God has in store for us this new year on the mission field. When do you get to the ship? I'll be there all year so I hope to connect there! :)