Thursday, February 5, 2009

Can't you see?

So I have this assignment due for class tomorrow. Its supposed to be based on an "aha" moment I have had this week regarding the poor. To be honest I feel like I have learned too much valuable information to share in a short summary, which would make it even harder to scale it down to one moment. This assignment took on a life of its own and now that its done I think it is more appropriate for this format to serve as an explanation for why I am passionate about what I am doing.

Can’t you see?

Can’t you see there are people suffering in this world, people with just as much worth as you?

Or do you not think they hold the same value, and simply don’t deserve our time?

What does it take to reach the poor in this world, when will people see we need to act?

It’s simple really

It may take sacrifice, it may take time.

You won’t always be comfortable, but you will be acting out of obedience, simple obedience.

Anyone can do it, because through God anything is possible you see.

You say you have sympathy, yet you don’t realize we have to do something beyond send money into the hands of misuse.

Can’t you see the need for love; is it not written on your heart?

Some must go and some must send.

But we must understand why it is worth doing at all.

I am equal; my worth is no greater and no less than anyone else.

I go there and let my heart break when I hear children in an orphanage sing “Jesus Loves Me” because the words “They are weak but He is strong” ring true when you look out the door to a street full of trash and decay conquered only by the sweet voices of children singing to their savior.

Is it becoming clearer?

Can you see?

Would you offer your hand out to grasp a small dust covered one?

What about 50 hands, desperate to touch and hold onto a little piece of you, only because they just want to feel love?

Please hear this, let it settle deep inside you.

I have felt the tight, swollen belly of a child pressed up against my arm, felt their hand on my shoulder, and their slow, gentle breaths as they studied me, quietly stroking my hair.

I sat and watched a naked child trace the Nike symbol on my sneaker with his sweet little finger, marveling at the wonder in his eyes and the simplicity of his awe.

What about now, is it sinking in yet?

These are real people, living and breathing.

Why do people give up their lives to work among the destitute?

We serve a King who washed feet, and we know in our heart we are to follow in those steps, you just need to listen.

There is a time when you must give up yourself and just follow.

Even with no common spoken language you may still pick up some lessons along the way, especially that love transcends words.

When another human being presses her face into your neck in new found friendship and gratitude, any walls built around your heart quickly crumble. You cannot deny the quality of that life when you feel your pulse quicken against their warm face.

A message of hope needs to be delivered. We must forge new prayer and break down boundaries.

This is important, please hear.

God is big enough; He will meet us and guide us to where He wants us to work. We must be willing to follow though

It’s simple

We just need to see more clearly.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You have found the center of God's heart!
Champagne