Thursday, February 26, 2009

My Friend

There are times like right now when I wonder why in the world I write a blog. Sometimes the things I write seem like they would be much more appropriate hidden between the covers of a journal, stowed away next to my bed (or couch, depending on where I happen to lay my head these days). Honestly, whatever. I write it here, you read it. I'm happy to share. I can't for the life of me keep a proper journal...it feels to much like "dear diary, blah blah blah" I prefer putting it out there, addressing it to whoever takes the time to read it. So here's to a personal story that has really not much to do with anything.

Ok, for real. I am so excited after a fun night with one of my oldest friends. We met back when we were 11. Both of us had moms that didn't let us drink coca-cola. My dad used to sneak me a 6-pack a week of the (contraband) deliciousness packed into those shiny red cans. I would bring 2 a day to school, sharing one of them with my new friend. It was the beginning of a wonderful, special, hilarious roller coaster that has lasted 15 years (and we both still agree that the best way to drink coke is out of an ice-cold can, nothing beats it). As with any long term friendship, throughout the years our time spent together has waxed and waned. When tragedy struck her life one night we spent nearly every day together for the 6 months following it. There were nights that stretched into mornings, her dad finding us still up chatting at the kitchen table at 6am. There were many days where we never left the couch, knees tucked into our chest, side by side doing a crossword puzzle with a funny movie playing in the background, an effort to make the sadness cease, to take away the sting of reality. Those 6 months were heart-wrenching and incredible all at once. I can't believe it has been 5 years since then.
Tonight started out with a sweet gift, a build-a-bear creation with a story to go with it. Its awesomely funny to me, and won't at all transfer if I try to recall to you why its so funny, so you'll just have to trust me. She told me there was a note and a card to go along, to read it later, and off we went to dinner.

When I came home I opened my card and found the little note stashed away in hunny-bunny's purse (yes, its a bunny with a purse, and its awesome. Laugh all you want, I have zero shame with this one, I love it)
The card was insightful and sweet, incredible is really a more appropriate word. What got me was the little 2x2 note inside the purse, meant to travel with me to the ship.
"Return to old watering holes for more than water, friends and dreams are there to meet you" ~African proverb
"Remember your friends are always here to help you. Don't let yourself feel homesick. Call or write and we will be there"

I have always described this friend as the person you could go 10 years without seeing and call up if you needed her. She would be on her way before you hung up the phone. She has a genuine, good heart. The note isn't a cheesy "Just call my name and I'll be there" deal, its a "I'm always here, I'll always be here" sentiment. In talking about peoples perspective on me going to Africa she said she wasn't the least bit surprised when I said I was leaving.
"That's you, it always has been"

While driving home tonight I couldn't help but let my mind wander to how much I am loving these moments recently. I had to say goodbye for now to one of my best friends, and as much as I could have let it be bittersweet I instead smiled at how good tonight was. Still friends after 15 years, we sat at a crowded pub, classic rock playing in the background, laughing at ourselves and stories of old,

sipping coca-cola.

No comments: