Friday, February 27, 2009

On repeat

For the last two days all I can do to stay grounded is repeat these verses.

Psalm 139:23-24
"Search me, O God, and know my heart;
test me and know my anxious thoughts.
See if there is any offensive way in me,
and lead me in the way everlasting."

Anxiety is a funny thing, eh? Sometimes its source is so vague there is no figuring out why your stomach won't stop flip-flopping. I don't struggle with anxiety very often, rarely actually. Days like yesterday and today seem foreign to me, but it seems like when you are trapped in the moment it can sometimes be hard to break out of it.
God is good, I know that. I guess I needed a reminder today from Oswald Chambers before I start my day.

"Suppose there is a well of fathomless trouble inside your heart, and Jesus comes and says - "Let not your heart be troubled"; and you shrug your shoulders and say, "But, Lord, the well is deep; You cannot draw up quietness and comfort out of it." No, He will bring them down from above. Jesus does not bring anything up from the wells of human nature."

Wait, there's more...

"When we get into difficult circumstances, we impoverish His ministry by saying - "Of course He cannot do any thing," and we struggle down to the deeps and try to get the water for ourselves. Beware of the satisfaction of sinking back and saying - "It can't be done"; you know it can be done if you look to Jesus. The well of your incompleteness is deep, but make the effort and look away to Him."

I don't want these posts to always be rosy. I don't want to avoid writing down something just because I don't like what I have to say. I also don't want to only write about negative things once I have emerged on the other side of them. I'm in the middle of this, and its not terribly fun. I don't know the source, there is no pin-pointing exactly why my stomach feels like there are ninja's fighting each other inside, but I know how to combat it.

"Search me, O God, and know my heart;
test me and know my anxious thoughts..."

No comments: