Sunday, February 22, 2009

Screening Day in Benin

So many of you may not watch this whole movie (6 min). Hopefully that also means that most will also ignore the links to fellow Mercy-Shippers on the left of my page who I totally stole this link from :) The video is of screening day in Benin, where I will be spending the rest of 09'. If you don't make it through to at least the 4th minute let me re-cap some of the statistics for you.
~On Feb 19th and 20th thousands of patients were seen for screening and to be booked for surgery on the ship. Many showed up the day before just to wait in line.
~Benin is ranked #163 of 177 countries in the United Nations Development Index, which basically means its one of the poorest countries in the world.
~More than 50% of the population is under 15 years old
~The average life expectancy is just 54 years old

Here's the link to the video

I also just found out today that one of the Doc's from Children's will be joining the ship in October to do two weeks worth of surgeries, which made me smile big today!

As for me, I'm still trucking along, trying to absorb and process what is going on around me, yet not over-think it. I am fully immersed at home and everyone around me which is exactly what I have been praying for. I want to enjoy the time I have here before I go as much as possible, and I am doing just that. In a normal day I find myself pondering mundane and then profound things, jumping from one to the other almost on an hourly basis. I'm soaking it up, every last detail. From the movie I saw today with Jenny which made me laugh (Hotel for Dogs...finally made it, and totally worth it!) to sitting with my mom, tears in our eyes as she talked about how she will miss me this year. I am fully present, yet I have given up ownership of a lot of things in my life here. Its a good balance, I am happy for every new day, and I know who to thank.

Psalm 86:11
"Teach me your way O God, and I will walk in your truth. Give me an undivided heart..."

2 comments:

Shay said...

I'm a friend of Ryan Sutherland's who occasionally reads your blog. I am so touched by your writing. I literally feel the emotion in it. My heart skips a beat and I want to cry with you when you say things like ". . . sitting with my mom, tears in our eyes . . ." I am SO looking forward to reading about your and Ryan's experience in Africa, and I commend you for what you are doing.

suzanne said...

Shay,
Thank you so much! Your comment made me smile :)