Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Here, there, and everywhere

Wait…

Where am I and how long have I been here? Never mind that, what time is it?

Saturday I was in Boston, saying good bye to my family. Sunday found me walking the streets of Paris, on top of the Eiffel Tower at one point, and finishing the evening having dinner with my newest friends that I met while in Texas. Monday I hopped on another plane, this time headed for Africa. First things first, here are some Paris pictures.


Notre Dame Cathedral




Apparently its freezing in Paris this time of year...or maybe just when you are almost near the top of the Eiffel tower, brrr. The picture on the right is from the elevator on the way down from the top...clearly we've gone stir crazy, you can see it in our eyes. You know the scene at the end of Willie Wonka when they shoot through the top of the elevator? I was totally humming that song the whole ride up.








On our way to the flight out of Paris.




At 8pm Monday night I stepped out into the thick, heavy hot air that is familiar and strangely comforting (if you consider 90 degree humid air comforting like I apparently do). I made it through the paperwork and even managed to keep my eyes open for the ID picture. At one point I felt like I was going to pass out (you know, that brain floating around in your skull feeling??) and then my floaty brain informed me that I was on a ship, which happened to be rocking, thus causing my head to be dizzy. I was thankful that I didn’t have to start this trip with a fainting spell in the reception area…I think that would’ve been kinda embarrassing.

With the clock threatening to get late enough to deprive me of any sleep at all I climbed into bed with two last cards to open for the night, one from my best friend, the other from my sister. I wasn’t expecting the emotions that followed.

Um…

“So…God…uh, I’m here. Are these tears more than just “I’m tired” or “it’s been a long couple of days?” Why am I so overwhelmed with no knowledge of what exactly is causing it? I want to be drawn in tight, safely tucked away God.”

I prayed knowing God was going to answer, I knew it the whole time, no doubts at all. Looking back thinking about it now, that’s pretty awesome. I knew God was listening.

“I’m right here; I’ve been with you this whole time. Just hold my hand and we’ll walk through this together”

It was as simple as that. Tears ceased, no worries, and off to sleep after a quick read through Psalm 86 (one of the more recent prayers over the last 4 months or so).

This morning I was ready to go, no question about wanting to take the opportunity to go off the ship and see one of our patients. I nearly let out a girly squeal when I put on scrubs for the first time in over two months…seriously one of the best job perks I can think of, it’s been far too long. The day was awesome, and although I won’t go into detail here right now, I know I’m in the right place which is the best thing I can ask for.

And just for fun, my “This is Africa” (TIA) moment of the day:

Looked out the window to see three boys, all under about 10 years old paddling a rickety, dug-out canoe in a port full of huge ocean liners. The two on either end were doing the paddling while the middle boy hauled out bucket after bucket of water, managing to stay a few hauls ahead of a sinking boat. Classic.



First day at work (I'll be honest, I took this one for my mom but I really was quite excited about it myself)




The view from deck 7



Psalm 86:4
" Bring joy to your servant, Lord, for I put my trust in you."
vs. 7
"When I am in distress, I call to you, because you answer me"
vs 11
"Teach me your way, LORD, that I may rely on your faithfulness; give me an undivided heart"

So far so good~

7 comments:

Kapaldo Family said...

We are so excited for you. I can't believe you are already there and have already started working. We're looking forward to hearing more about all that goes on over there!

Anonymous said...

WOO HOO!

I can't wait to get back to my plantain-strewn bed and lots of Suey-Ali shoe sharing. Lucky girl, getting to be there already.

Krista Photography said...

YAY!!!

Annemarie said...

So glad you made it there....and I love the "mom" picture! You'll be glad that you have that one to commemorate the moment. Love you!!

Anonymous said...

Suzy Q!
My how we miss you! The pictures (and the excitement in your voice) make this transition a whole lot easier! We feel so confident that you are right where God wants ya!

much love and kisses.

p.s. you can send your cabin pictures to me directly..if you weren't planning on sharing them with the blogging world :)

Shyla said...

You are glowing my friend.... Your ma and I were just talking about it.

Cant wait for more TIA moments!

xoxo

Anonymous said...

O love, I am so happy for you! Its incredible to see the transition you have made emotionally and spiritually over the last few months. You are an inspiration!

I'm so excited to stay posted on everything!

much love