Thursday, March 5, 2009

What do you bring to Africa for a year?

Well, not a full year...but close enough.
My time these days has been spent packing, and to be honest it has been quite easy. The clothes were a piece of cake, the sheets, comforter, and various other items fit nicely as well. I was just sitting down in the middle of all of this stuff and thought "this is a funny picture". So here is the 'after' shot. I am not unpacking all of it to provide a 'before' shot for your viewing pleasure, so you'll have to use your imagination.



So there ya have it. As you can tell, I have not attempted to pack my carry on, I am hoping all of the stuff on the couch will pack away nice and neat into the backpack on the left (clears throat). As long as those malaria meds have a place I should be ok (oh, and my teddy bear of course)
I'm sorry to report that the rest of my poor room is not fairing so well...actually its a total disaster, like, post-tornado'esque really.
Two more days!

5 comments:

Tyrone said...

Don't bother taking that hairdryer unless you have a really good converter for it, and even then...its iffy.

Check the mercyshipslinks.blogspot.com unless of course you already have...there are some good suggestions it.

Sher Sutherland said...

OK, can I relate to your post? Specifically the part about the room that has seen the worst part of a tornado.

Do me a favor and remind Ry that his malaria medication is stuffed inside his water bottle, and please tell him not to look too hard for his small digital camera because it's still on the kitchen counter (he thinks it's in his black backpack).

Tell your mom I'm praying for her--today was so much harder than I ever dreamed it would be. Give Ry a hug for me. And you guys watch each other for signs of the crazies :-)

PS--Could you give him a hug for me?

megan petock said...

I have more hair then Tyrone so I think opinion has more wieght :)

I got an international hairdyer that goes back and forth between 120 and 240 power at wal mart for 15 dollars (it still works)

although, my problem was never with the hairdyer but rather the West African humidity :)

have fun!!

suzanne said...

Tyrone-Thank you for the advice! I will gladly unload this hairdryer from my bags and replace it with a different one that will actually work.

Sher- Oh No! (related to saying goodbye but also the camera) Hugs are coming right up!!

Megan- I too have issues with the West African climate, as we know a girls still gotta try, even when the odds are stacked against her ;)

Tyrone said...

[SIGH]

Megan was right about both things,

1. I have very little hair
2. you can find a dual voltage hair dryer for about 15 bucks at wal-mart

Stephanie and I saw it just the other day and said 'oh look!' I think it was the conaire brand...but check everything just in case...flat irons too.